Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Biomechanics Activity Analysis: Drinking Coffee

I absolutely love coffee!! I have to have a cup every morning when I get up to start my day right! During this quarantine, I have found myself drinking a cup every afternoon as well. My starting position for grabbing my coffee, is my arm with elbow at extension by my side. It is currently in the sagittal plane and coronal axis. When I reach my right arm forward to grab my coffee, my elbow is still crossing the sagittal plane and coronal axis. It is currently in extension. Once I grab the cup of coffee, I flex my elbow to bring my coffee cup to my mouth. This movement is still in the sagittal plane and coronal axis.  Depending on how heavy the cup of coffee is, my wrist will flex and extend when I bring the cup to my mouth and when I put it back down. When my wrist flexes and extends it is also crossing the sagittal plane and coronal axis. Once I place my coffee cup back down, my end position will be the same as my starting position. My arm with my elbow at extension by my side will fall into the sagittal plane and coronal axis. The osteokinematic movement is flexion and extension in an open kinematic chain. The arthokinematic movement of elbow flexion occurs at the humeroulnar joint and the humeroradial joint. During open chain elbow flexion, the concave ulna and radial segments roll and glide anteriorly on the convex humerus. The prime movers are the biceps, brachioradialis, and brachialis muscles. They perform a concentric contraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment